Monday, February 10, 2014

Snow!

Well, it’s definitely gotten a bit colder up here in the past week. On Wednesday, we were out knocking doors (because when you get doubled in that's all you really can do) it was a nice, brisk 12 degrees outside. Definitely made it interesting trying to talk with people when your mouth is frozen. But it’s finally paying off! Last night we got 4-5 inches of snow... and counting! Always makes it entertaining driving (more like sliding) around and up hills that you're not sure if you're gonna make it or not. Have had to push our car out of snow we have gotten in the past few days. Never boring. Maybe they will finally give us an AWD. Here's hoping.
So a lot of the times on P-Day (Mondays - the day we have to go shopping, relax, write cheesy blog posts, etc) we end up playing Basketball with other missionaries in our zone for a good portion of the day. After 4 months of that, I thought I had become half-way decent. Not good by any means but respectable. Then when I got to Chelan, a member has a group of guys he plays Basketball with at the local high school gym in the early morning, so he invited us and we accepted (because Basketball beats push-ups any day) and let me tell you…I have once again assured myself that I do indeed, suck at Basketball. But now I am playing with more people that actually know what they're doing so the rate of improvement should go up, hopefully soon. 

So I am convinced that one of the Gifts of the Spirit that missionaries get is the 'gift of expounding the scriptures.' Let me tell you why. Wednesday night we had dinner with the 1st counselor in the Bishopric and his family, and he asked if it would be okay if my comp and I split up so one could go to English ward and the other Spanish branch (they meet at the same time in different rooms) because he needed someone to give a talk. We said that shouldn't be a problem and then I (in my INFINITE wisdom) said jokingly "Well I'm the new piano player in the Spanish group so I don't think I'd be able to sorry." And he comes back with "Perfect! Cause we needed a speaker in the Spanish branch." That was a nice humiliating defeat. But back to my original point... we didn't have much time to prepare the talks so I turned a quote, two ideas I wanted to say, and four scriptures into an 11 minute talk. The only explanation I can think of is the gift of expounding the scriptures. Gotta love being a missionary. 

So that's pretty much everything new and exciting with me for the past week. But I will say this - we have to drive down to Wenatchee tomorrow for a zone meeting (again with the meetings!) BUT... there's a Cafe Rio down there! AND it’s Taco Tuesday! I can't even begin to describe the excitement. It makes driving an hour down the mountain for a 3 hour meeting totally worth it. 

And here's some awesome news. There's another witty sign up here! It’s outside of a variety store and so here is the quote from one side today:

"Warning 4 Days until Valentines"

And with that I bid thee all farewell until next week. Stay classy America!

Elder Kupferer

No comments:

Post a Comment