Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Long Week

So this week, a lot happened, but at the same time, almost nothing happened. On Tuesday, my companion got hit with the flu hardcore. It sounded pretty miserable. I'm just glad I haven't gotten it (yet). But that pretty much wiped him out for a couple of days. Wednesday, we had a zone conference with all the missionaries in the valley (there are about 30 or 40 of us) which was enjoyable, but took up almost all of the day. Thursday was pretty normal but Friday the party started. We got express directions from our zone leaders and our stake president to basically don't go to Chelan all weekend. So Friday we tried teaching as many of our investigators in Manson as possible but since we spend most of our time in Chelan, that didn't last long. Saturday, thankfully we ended up helping a member the entire day move some Volkswagen bug bodies around his yard and various odds and ends but Sunday was the same story. Too much alcohol and not enough clothing for us to go into Chelan. Thankfully we made it through but this has definitely been one of the longer weekends on my mission.

Although, I have now discovered that Deep Fried Oreos are the stuff. You can only eat like four or five at a time if you're lucky because otherwise you might induce a heart attack, but man. It is the best stuff on earth. 

On the flip side though, Sunday I had the special privilege of baptizing a little girl. She had just turned 8 and not all of her family are members of the church so she didn't have any family that could baptize her. Long story short she asked me to do it and it was an awesome experience. It was such a testimony builder to see a young girl in a family that isn't terribly religious still decide to make that first covenant with God the Father.  I will be forever grateful I was able to be a part of that. 

So on the subject of kids, I've got a quote to end this epistle. Comes from a little sign hanging on a member’s refrigerator door. I am sure my mom can attest to this. 

"Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your kids."

Thinking back on my high school years, I can most certainly see the events where my parents' insanity level jumped. I guess now would be a good as time as ever to apologize. Sorry Mom and Dad. If it’s any consolation, I have to go through it too at one point. 

And with that, I'm off. Until next week everyone!

Elder Kupferer

1 comment:

  1. Dear Elder Matthew, Reading about last week was great! Us two 'Oldies' hadn't figured out that this was the site where you shared your experiences--just thought your mom was reminding us that "Missionaries like Care Packages"! (Glad we got that figured out before you came home) Will go back & read what else you've been doing for the past year. Love & Prayers, Uncle Louis & Aunt Carol Larsen--Taylorsville, UT

    ReplyDelete