Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I See Dead People

Okay so now before you all freak out let me explain. When someone starts their mission, in missionary culture they consider it being 'born' as a missionary. Then you grow up and progress through life and eventually, after two years, you go home, or 'die.' Tomorrow, one of my companions goes home. In three weeks, my other companion goes home. In three months, one of the other missionaries serving in our ward (a Zone Leader) dies. And then 6 weeks after him, the other zone leader dies. So the reason I bring this up is because the 5 of us were helping someone move and after we finished we were chit chatting and somehow Christmas zone conference was brought up and so I made the comment of how Christmas this year was going to be awesome and I can't wait to watch the movie. Then I look around and everyone is staring at me, and then I realize, all of them were going to be home for Christmas. At that moment having a year under my belt didn't feel like all that much. They all thought it was pretty hilarious though. #struggles. 

But in other news, last week for P-Day was pretty cool. One of the members (who happened to be our neighbor) had a little going away party for my companion that just so happened to involve the entire zone. We played kickball and soccer and had a barbeque. Twas fun. Especially when the sprinklers came on in the middle of the kickball game. Never boring. 

So in closing this week, I need to explain something for the quote to make sense. In Othello, 7th street is littered with churches. In a 1 mile stretch there are no less than 8 churches (ours being one of them). Most of those churches have little signs out front that say random things like "Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost - get to know them" or Bible verses and the like. All pretty standard stuff. But then one church was smart. During the middle of the heat wave when it was 100+ for way too long (1 minute at 100+ is way too long if you ask me) they changed their sign to the following:

"You think it’s hot here?"

And left it with that. 

And with that, I'm off. Until next week!

Elder Kupferer

No comments:

Post a Comment