Monday, January 20, 2014

Why Hello There

Pretty good week this week up in the WKM. About the only thing out of the norm was we had Interviews with our mission president on Friday. It’s about as fun as it sounds. Every other transfer or so we sit down with our mission president and talk a little bit with him. It was nice being able to talk directly with the policy man and figure some stuff out. Always great talking with him. I swear I don't think he knows how to get mad. It’s crazy. 

What’s also crazy is I now have times where I start thinking in Spanish. While I don't think it will ever get to the point of totally in Spanish like my friends down in South America are getting it’s still pretty intense. I still have a little bit of trouble understanding when they start talking fast or slur words (think rednecks but Spanish speaking) but it’s come a long way. This past transfer of my comp not speaking Spanish (because he is an English-speaking missionary) made it sink or swim but so far I haven't totally drowned yet. It's come close before but overall it’s doing really well. 

I would also like to take this time to note that the Seahawks are going to the Super Bowl and come Super Bowl Sunday, I feel like all of Washington is going to shut down. It’s intense the fans up here. Almost got the Seahawks logo shaved into my hair this morning whilst getting my hair cut but we decided President wouldn't approve. Maybe next week just before the actual game.....

This week I have also had another cool experience that was a little bit more spiritual (although depending who you ask the Seahawks going to the Super Bowl is pretty spiritual). The past few weeks I have been running a little bit low on money for one reason or another and so I was a little bit worried how I would survive the rest of the month (we get our monthly allowance on the 1st). But as the week went by, I started remembering little things to save money like getting free subway for lunch or members giving us ridiculously generous amounts of money to go buy dinner. It’s great to see how the Lord takes care of us right when we need it. 

And now for the quote. This week requires a little back story. We had a meeting with our district (a group of 4 - 8 missionaries serving in a close area, or in our case, the only towns beyond the edge of civilization) and we talked about teaching simply, which reminded me of this story. I believe this was last year in Wind Ensemble when the director asked a student to stand up and explain a concept to the class for the people that were absent last time (if memory serves I think it had something to do with balance within the ensemble and those Russian dolls that stack inside of each other). The student stands up and starts explaining very long windedly and so by the time said student had finished, the director had gone to the board and written the following quote. It was hilarious. 

"If you can't explain it simply, then you don't truly understand it."

And with that, I bid thee all farewell. Until next week!

Elder Vaso (vaso translated is 'cup' so like 'cup' ferer. My dad is a comedic genius)

No comments:

Post a Comment