Monday, March 17, 2014

Springtime (for Hitler)

[Editor's Note:  The parenthetical title above is Matthew's tribute to the musical "The Producers" and is not intended to be culturally or ethnically offensive in any way.]

So seasons are actually a thing up here. There is actually a marked difference between Winter and Spring here. It’s unbelievable. I don't know how to handle myself. 

But hey, one of the perks is that we got to play soccer down in Wenatchee last P-Day. That was fun. First time I've played since Mexico. Makes me wish I had continued on with it in High School but I think the arts probably were better. I would much rather be able to play the piano and trumpet than soccer. 

Also another perk of the spring.... Spring Cleaning!!! Always fun. Especially when you get to go chop wood for 2 hours! For this city boy that was a new experience. It was fun for two hours because it was nice exercise that wasn't push-ups or sit-ups but I can now see why it would suck as a chore. The physical labor was actually a nice change of pace though. The killer view made it pretty nice too. 

All this small-town missionary work though has made the city seem pretty unappealing now though. Building a custom home and living somewhere where it doesn't take you an hour to travel 30 miles seems pretty nice. Granted it takes an hour for us to get to the next major city but hey, there’s a Walmart down the street. How bad can it be? 

So there’s really no way to transition to this but I just wanted to let all of you know that apparently Korean Barbecue isn't a thing outside of Southern California (and Korea I'm assuming). My comp and the members I was talking to had no idea what I was talking about. They just don't know what they are missing out on. 

Also random fact for the day. Apple cider (like apple juice but is literally just apples squeezed straight into the container) can ferment if you let it sit long enough. You've got two weeks and then you start getting a little loopy after drinking some seemingly innocent apple cider. The random things you learn while living in the middle of an orchard. 

I also have decided after some reflection that my Spanish abilities have improved rather significantly. Still a ways to go but I can now understand Spanish 1 teacher Spanish (Ho-la. Me llam-o El-der Kup-fer.) and normal Spanish. Currently I'm at about a 75% comprehension rate for the drunks and still only like 20% for the soccer announcer. That one will take some work yet but it’s coming along quite well. 

Now all you future missionaries out there listen up: I am a firm believer that appointments that fall through just means there is someone else you need to go see. This past week we took a member to go visit someone and had worked hard to finally find said member (the list of people willing to go out at 10:30 in the morning is remarkably small....) but then we knock on the door... and she's sick. So no appointment there. But since the member had changed a good chunk of his morning schedule to accompany us we were like well we don't want you to just go back home (we were thinking this) and so we decided to go stop by this guy that lived a few blocks away. We knock on the door, he welcomes us in, then his wife walks around the corner and said "Oh hi! I was going to call you later today. I need your help with something." So never fear! Canceled appointments are just a sign saying you need to go somewhere else. 

And now for the quote, here’s a text we got from a member this morning:

“Alas me fine gents a good mornin' to ye - I hope ye be a wearin' ye green. And a fine St. Patties to ye - may the luck of the Irish be with ye this fine windy day.” 

If anyone says they have better members, I'm sorry, they're wrong. 

Hope you all enjoy this wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

Elder Kupferer

No comments:

Post a Comment